8 Things You Might Not Know About Me
- My middle name is Cay because my parents thought the letter C was a good middle initial. My sister’s middle name rhymes with mine.
- In 1987 I received a commendation from the U.S. Army from my work there as a civilian. I collected evidence of fraudulent welding practices on tanks that were later used in Iraq. We used a cobalt source to see into the metal without destroying it. Yes, it was radioactive and I can’t believe I did that.
- I’m still afraid of the dark and have nightlights throughout my house.
- I went to college at age 16 and graduated with a B.S. at age 20. I have no ego about being smart since I have a good friend who graduated at age 19 with a double major in electrical engineering and computer science. Oh, she also flies helicopters. She’s way more impressive than me.
- Both my sister and I went to Clarkson University which was only open to men a few years before we started. All 5 of our children also graduated from there and it was their decision, not ours.
- While growing up, I spent most summers camping on the islands of Lake George in New York State.
- I’m among 2% of people who see numbers in color in my head. It’s a type of synesthesia. They look like this to me 1234567890. Each number always shows up as the same color. I share this trait with novelist Vladimir Nobokov, physicist Richard Feynman, and composer Franz Liszt.
- I’ve done yoga continuously since 1989 right through all my pregnancies. When I first told my parents about it, they thought I had joined a cult.
5 Things You Probably Know About Me
- I live on the Fabulous Farmette with my husband Mike, cats, and chickens.
- Between Mike and I, we have six children who have all flown the coop.
- I’ve been a massage therapist for more than two decades.
- In a previous career as a literary nerd, I wrote computer manuals and very basic programs.
- I enjoy sharing my stories and hearing stories from other people. My aim is to help us all look back on our lives with humor.